Re: Views, views, views! (long)

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Views, views, views! (long)
Date: 2005-05-06 10:20:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:
> The unimaginable craziness of currently trying to support multiple
> versions of postgresql is pretty bad,

Hu? So you suggest version specific admin tools? *scratch head*

Just for curiosity:
pgAdmin CVS currently has 80 version checked pieces of code to support
7.3/7.4/8.0, and the vast majority is about version specific CREATE
options, i.e. DDL commands, not for querying system catalogs. I remember
only a single occurrence when a system catalog change had an impact on
pgAdmin's usability (dropped datpath).

> and the information_schema is next to useless for these things since
> it doesn't have PostgreSQL specific things in it.

And the restriction to current user owned objects reduces usability to zero.

Regards,
Andreas