Re: [v9.4] row level security

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PgHacker <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [v9.4] row level security
Date: 2013-08-29 14:05:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <aekorotkov(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2013 at 4:17 PM, Kohei KaiGai <kaigai(at)kaigai(dot)gr(dot)jp> wrote:
>> It is out of scope for this feature. We usually calls this type of
>> information leakage "covert channel"; that is not avoidable in principle.

> I think there is another "covert channel" much more serious than
> constrains. You can gather information about hidden data by reading query
> plans.

I'm not convinced by this argument that covert channels are "out of
scope". That would be a fine justification for, say, a thesis topic.
However, what we're talking about here is a real-world feature that will
be of no real-world use if it can't stand up against rather obvious attack
techniques. I'm not interested in carrying the maintenance and runtime
overhead of a feature that's only of academic value.