Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)dcc(dot)uchile(dot)cl>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Nested Transactions, Abort All
Date: 2004-07-10 07:34:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Simon Riggs wrote:

>>>BEGIN
>>> display one screen to user - book the flight
>>> INSERT INTO ...
>>> INSERT INTO ...
>>> UPDATE ...
>>> SAVEPOINT
>>> display another related screen - book the hotel
>>> INSERT INTO
>>> DELETE
>>> UPDATE
>>> UPDATE
>>> SAVEPOINT
>>> offer confirmation screen
>>>COMMIT (or ROLLBACK)
>>>

>>No, SAVEPOINT is not some kind of intermediate commit, but a point where
>>a rollback can rollback to.
>>

>Hmmm....I'm not sure what you mean by "No". The SAVEPOINT is somewhere
>you can ROLLBACK to, yes - exactly what I'm saying.
>
>I've not introduced any concept of "intermediate commit"...
>
>Do you agree that my example is valid Oracle SQL?

If you name that SAVEPOINT statements, yes. But the ordering of
statements makes the second savepoint useless, because it's after all
datamodifying statements; the first three are not covered by a savepoint
at all, only the toplevel xaction. That's probably not what you wanted.

Regards,
Andreas