Re: Prepared Statements

From: Dmitry Tkach <dmitry(at)openratings(dot)com>
To: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
Cc: Fernando Nasser <fnasser(at)redhat(dot)com>, Kim Ho <kho(at)redhat(dot)com>, Barry Lind <blind(at)xythos(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc-list <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Dave Cramer <Dave(at)micro-automation(dot)net>
Subject: Re: Prepared Statements
Date: 2003-07-21 14:39:11
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Oliver Jowett wrote:

>On Mon, Jul 21, 2003 at 10:18:19AM -0400, Dmitry Tkach wrote:
>

>>You can't possibly hope that JDBC driver will take care of alll of the
>>security risks for you. If you don't know how to write safe code, you'll
>>be doomed. If you do, then you do not need help from jdbc driver. JDBC
>>driver's whole purpose is to provide an abstraction layer between a
>>database and an application program.
>>It has nothing to do with security whatsoever.
>>

>This is only true if all DBs use identical SQL syntax, which they don't.
>Tried embedding a NUL into a query lately?

If you use standard SQL, and standard compliant database, you should be ok.
If you use certain db-specific extensions, you'll still benefit from
JDBC, abstracting *most* of your sql for you.

My point was that it has nothing to do with security anyway. :-)
I was not planning to start discussing how much abstraction it provides.
I agree, that it could be better.

>Even if it was true, it's still better to have one piece of code that does
>the escaping, rather than N different ones. With escaping in the JDBC
>driver, you've reduced the scope of the code you need to audit for syntax
>from "all query strings and all parameters" to "the JDBC driver's
>parameter-escaping code and all query strings".

Sure. And that's good.
That's precisely the point - if you guys start taking functionality
away, so that I am not longer able to do things with it that I used to
be able to do, then I will not be able to benefit from it as much as I
used to - I'll have to switch from PreparedStatements to Statements and
do all that escaping/parsing on my own.
That's exactly what I am trying to avoid

Dima