Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE

From: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Marko Tiikkaja <marko(at)joh(dot)to>, pgsql-hackers Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/pgSQL PERFORM with CTE
Date: 2013-08-20 13:13:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Aug 20, 2013, at 3:05 PM, Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> When you would to ignore result, then you should to use a PERFORM - actually, it is limited now and should be fixed. Have no problem with it.

Glad to have you on board. :-)

> I don't would to enable a free unbound statement that returns result.

I have no pony in that race. I think it is useful, though I prefer to unit test things enough that I would be fine without it.

But even without it, there may be times when I want to discard a result in a function that *does* return a value -- likely a different value. So there needs to be a way to distinguish statements that should return a value and those that do not.

Best,

David