Functions that return Record Sets

From: Benjamin Stewart <benstewart74(at)yahoo(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Functions that return Record Sets
Date: 2003-05-21 10:25:28
Lists: pgsql-sql

Greetings,
Sorry if this question has been posted before, but I searched the
archives and documentation and was unable to find ther elevant
information or any other developers with first hand experience at this.

We are writting an application that is web based. We will beusing
struts, java and all the wonderful things that that technology brings.
We have decided to use Postgresql as our DB (v7.3.1). I noticed that one
of the major changes that came with the release of 7.3 was the ability
to return a record set from a function. I have not been able to find any
specific documentation on how to achieve this. If there is any I would
appreciate it if somebody could point it out.

What i really want is to hear from somebody that has first hand
experience and returning recordsets from postgresql (using pl/pgsql)
functions. The other developer here has investigated and was only able
to find a method that is a little bit tedious, and requires that actual
call to the database from the java code (using jdbc) to define the
fields that we are expecting etc.

I have worked previously with sybase and we have the ability to create a
stored procedure (different from a user defined function) that returns a
record set that is passed back as and I can use as a standard RS and
itterate throught it etc. I am also able to get meta data about field
names, type etc from the RS.

Would appreciate any help/suggestions/comments.

Regards
Ben Stewart