Re: Win32 port (native)

From: Jochem van Dieten <jochemd(at)oli(dot)tudelft(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Win32 port (native)
Date: 2003-01-18 00:48:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jan Wieck wrote:
> As a PostgreSQL coreteam member I want to thank my employer, the
> PeerDirect Corporation, for contributing this work, which IMHO is an
> important step for PostgreSQL.

Yes, a very important step. A big thank you to PeerDirect.

> What we need from here are some ideas how this port can be lifted up to
> the current 7.4 development tree. There are some TODO items scattered
> throughout the code. But, it compiles and works, so it's a good point to
> start from I think. Looking at the demand for a native Win32 port I
> would expect some people willing to take it from there.

I have a request for this. Would it be possible to give priority to the
client utilities?
Apart from possibly helping in the rest of the port by facilitating
dumping/restoring/testing, it would also enable those working on Windows
clients with unix backends to work more easily now already. Personally,
I am now using the psql that came with the beta4 of the Win32 port for
everything. Even when connecting to a 7.3 server the problems (no schema
support etc.) are far outweighted by the advantages of having a
lightweight (just libpq.dll + psql.exe, no cygwin, no installation)
client tool. But it would be nice if schema support etc. was available
and with the exception of pg_dump I am personally not very concerned
about using beta client utilities (while I would have reservations about
using a beta database server).

Jochem