Re: TEXT question... Was 7.0 key features

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Mitch Vincent <mitch(at)huntsvilleal(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)hub(dot)org
Subject: Re: TEXT question... Was 7.0 key features
Date: 2000-05-08 21:49:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mitch Vincent wrote:

> This brings me to another question. Hopefully there isn't a 8k (max 32k)
> limit on TEXT fields --

No, they currently just have to fit in a record ;)

They will be stored (optionally) separately in future (7.1)

> What do you guys think of storing whole text files (normally stored in a
> flat file) in the database for searching purposes? Would a search on an
> indexed TEXT field be slow as mud?

Depends on search ;)

like "a%" may not be too slow (unless the indexes on text field will be
disallowed initially, as has been mentioned some times)

PG does not yet have a native full-text index. There is a suboptimal
implementation using triggers and extra tables in contrib.

Hannu