Re: pg_class catalog question...

From: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Thomas Hallgren" <thomas(at)tada(dot)se>, "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jnasby(at)pervasive(dot)com>, "Qingqing Zhou" <zhouqq(at)cs(dot)toronto(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_class catalog question...
Date: 2006-04-02 19:38:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 4/2/06, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> bytea does that.

Yep. However, I've wanted to add a constrained, fixed-length version
of bytea for some time now; it's just not high on my priority list.
At EnterpriseDB, we've actually had a lot of customers who would
prefer a constrained bytea (like Oracle's RAW), rather than
variable-length. However, many people end up liking bytea better just
because they don't like the limitation's of Oracle's RAW data type.
Just depends on the application.

I'll probably get to this in the next couple weeks unless someone
wants to beat me to it :)

--
Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation