Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)justatheory(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PL/Perl Does not Like vstrings
Date: 2012-01-05 18:09:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> The fix that has been applied, as Tom suggested, is at the point where
> we call SvPVutf8(), so that's not just for elog().

That patch looks good, but do we want to look into the other point about
error recovery? The real bottom line here is that when SvPVutf8 threw a
croak(), we didn't recover sanely at all --- in fact, it was almost
impossible to tell what had happened even in gdb, until I installed
perl debugging symbols and single-stepped through things. I would have
hoped that we'd at least see the croak message. This seems a bit
nervous-making, as plperl sure calls a lot of stuff that in principle
could croak.