Re: 8.1.3 and unused files

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1.3 and unused files
Date: 2006-05-05 22:53:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
>> Hm. I wonder if there are any uses of "exit(1)" in the Slony triggers.

> It doesn't appear so. It does have this though:

Well, a SIGTERM would have resulted in a bleat in the postmaster log.
The striking thing about your log is that the backend went down without
saying a word; which would be understandable if it had crashed (eg SEGV
or kill -9) but then the postmaster would have seen some other exit
status. I'm fairly certain there are no paths in the standard backend
code that will exit(1) without any attempt to print a message. That's
why I'm wondering about add-ons.