Re: 8.1.3 and unused files

From: Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 8.1.3 and unused files
Date: 2006-05-05 23:20:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Rod Taylor <pg(at)rbt(dot)ca> writes:
> > On Fri, 2006-05-05 at 16:11 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> Hm. I wonder if there are any uses of "exit(1)" in the Slony triggers.
>
> > It doesn't appear so. It does have this though:
>
> Well, a SIGTERM would have resulted in a bleat in the postmaster log.
> The striking thing about your log is that the backend went down without
> saying a word; which would be understandable if it had crashed (eg SEGV
> or kill -9) but then the postmaster would have seen some other exit
> status. I'm fairly certain there are no paths in the standard backend
> code that will exit(1) without any attempt to print a message. That's
> why I'm wondering about add-ons.

Add-ons are slim. Slony. We don't have any C based functions and only a
few plpgsql functions in that DB.

I did trim out a ton of autovacuum log entries (it likes to log once a
minute) but I don't see anything interesting in that area nor autovac
the pid that exited.

My knowledge of signal handling is pretty basic. Any chance that
multiple SIGTERMs could have caused it to avoid the logging?