Re: Add %z support to elog/ereport?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Add %z support to elog/ereport?
Date: 2014-01-22 03:42:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> writes:
> On Jan21, 2014, at 18:56 , Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>> it wouldn't play nice with GCC's desire to check format strings.

>> That last is a deal-breaker. It's not just whether "gcc desires" to check
>> this --- we *need* that checking, because people get it wrong without it.

> There's an attribute that enables this check for arbitrary functions AFAIR.

Yeah, we use it (to enable checking for ereport et al). The issue is that
the semantics of the format-string are pretty much hard-wired into gcc;
eg it knows that "%ld" should match an argument of type "long int".

IIRC it does know a couple of different styles corresponding to popular
libc implementations ... but it is not going to support some random
semantics that we dream up.