Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL

From: Chuck McDevitt <cmcdevitt(at)greenplum(dot)com>
To: "Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM" <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Solaris getopt_long and PostgreSQL
Date: 2009-03-17 15:38:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

About a year ago, you talked to the PostgreSQL people about some problem with Solaris getopt_long, and they changed the build to use the internal getopt_long instead of the Solaris one?

What was the problem with Solaris getopt_long? Does the problem still exist in Solaris 10?

My users are unhappy at the change, since normal getopt_long reorders the args, and apparently the built-in one doesn't, so "psql database -p port" no longer works, since it treats -p as the user name.

I don't know if I should revert that change, or port netBSD getopt_long and replace the PostgreSQL one with that.