Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Oleg Bartunov <obartunov(at)gmail(dot)com>, Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Pgsql Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-02-05 17:48:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 02/05/2014 11:40 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
>> switching to "binary is the same as text" may well be the most prudent
>> path here.

> If we do that we're going to have to live with that forever, aren't we?

Yeah, but the other side of that coin is that we'll have to live forever
with whatever binary format we pick, too. If it turns out to be badly
designed, that could be much worse than eating some parsing costs during
dump/restore.

If we had infinite time/manpower, this wouldn't really be an issue.
We don't, though, and so I suggest that this may be one of the better
things to toss overboard.