Re: 9.4 release notes

From: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Petr Jelinek <petr(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 9.4 release notes
Date: 2014-05-05 23:16:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 10:58:57AM -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Mon, May 5, 2014 at 8:28 AM, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
> > How about:
> >
> > This data type allows for faster access to values in the json document
> > and faster and more useful indexing of json.
>
> We should refer to the fact that jsonb is internally typed. This isn't
> all that obvious now, but it is evident for example when you sort a
> set of raw scalar numeric jsonb values, which has a sane ordering (the
> implementation invokes numeric_cmp()). You also get an internal,
> per-number-scalar display scale, just like the numeric type proper.
> I'm not all that sure about how to go about succinctly expressing
> this, but clearly it's important.

Current text is:

Add structured (non-text) data type (JSONB) for storing JSON data (Oleg
Bartunov, Teodor Sigaev, Alexander Korotkov, Peter Geoghegan, and Andrew
Dunstan)

This allows for faster access to values in the JSON document and faster
and more useful indexing of JSON. JSONB values are also typed as
appropriate scalar SQL types.

Is that OK?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com

+ Everyone has their own god. +