Re: Cluster name in ps output

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Craig Ringer <craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cluster name in ps output
Date: 2014-05-05 12:03:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Craig,

* Craig Ringer (craig(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> postgres[5433]: checkpointer process
>
> at least as useful. The only time that's not unique is in a BSD jail or
> lxc container, and in those cases IIRC ps can show you the
> jail/container anyway.

Uhh, that's not at all true. You can trivially have multiple IPs on a
box w/o jails or containers (aliased interfaces) and then run PG on the
default port- which I find to be *far* more convenient than having the
same IP and a bunch of different ports.

What you *can't* have is two clusters with the same name and same major
version, at least on the Debian/Ubuntu distributions, and as such, I
would argue to also include the major version rather than include the
port, which you could get from pg_lsclusters.

> Showing the port would help new-ish users a lot; many seem to be very
> confused by which PostgreSQL instance(s) they're connecting to and which
> are running. Especially on Mac OS X, where people often land up with
> Apple's PostgreSQL, Homebrew, Postgres.app, and who knows what else
> running at the same time.

I'm far from convinced that showing the port in the ps output will
really help these users.. Not to mention that you can get that from
'netstat -anp' anyway.

Thanks,

Stephen