Re: jsonb and nested hstore

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: jsonb and nested hstore
Date: 2014-03-05 17:30:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Mar 5, 2014 at 11:50 AM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> > What _would_ be interesting is to move all the hstore code into core,
> > and have hstore contrib just call the hstore core parts. That way, you
> > have one copy of the code, it is shared with JSONB, but hstore remains
> > as an extension that you can change or remove later.
>
> That seems like an approach possibly worth investigating. It's not
> too different from what we did when we moved text search into core.
> The basic idea seems to be that we want jsonb in core, and we expect
> it to replace hstore, but we can't get just get rid of hstore because
> it has too many users.

This might be valuable for hstore, specifically, because we can't easily
move it into core. I'm fine with that- the disagreement I have is with
the more general idea that everything not-defined-by-committee should be
in shim extensions which just provide basically the catalog entries for
types which are otherwise all in core.

Thanks,

Stephen