Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>, Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-06 14:54:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

* Andres Freund (andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com) wrote:
> I don't think we're designing a feature that's supposed to be used under
> heavy concurrency here. If you have users/tools doing conflicting
> actions as superusers you need to solve that by social means, not by
> technical ones.

If this actually gets used by puppet or another CMS, the chances of the
'social means' being successful drop drastically.

I agree that it doesn't need to work under heavy concurrency, but it
should do something sensible if it happens- perhaps even just throwing
an error if it can't acquire the lock immediately, warning the user that
some other process is trying to modify the config concurrently.

Thanks,

Stephen