Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: 'Bruce Momjian' <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Tom Lane' <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, 'Josh Berkus' <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, 'Andres Freund' <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Greg Stark' <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, 'Alvaro Herrera' <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Fujii Masao' <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Dimitri Fontaine' <dimitri(at)2ndquadrant(dot)fr>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: File-per-GUC WAS: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-08-06 14:25:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Aug 6, 2013 at 06:30:18PM +0530, Amit Kapila wrote:
> > Now, I assume that ALTER SYSTEM SET would automatically issue a
> > pg_reload_conf(), so we would need to make sure that people modifying
> > multiple parameters that are related do it in a single transaction, and
> > that we issue a pg_reload_conf() only after all values have been
> > changed.
>
> Can't we leave this onus of conflict of changing dependent parameters on
> user, such that he should do it carefully?
> Other databases SQL Server, Oracle also has similar feature, so there user's
> also must be handling by themselves.

Yes, we _can_ have the user deal with it, but we have to consider the
final user experience. The initial experience will be, "Oh, great, no
more need to edit a configuration file,", but it might end with:

* Oh, my server doesn't start and I don't have shell access
* How do I undo an ALTER SYSTEM SET if the server can't be started
* Why doesn't my server start? postgresql.conf looks fine (see ALTER
SYSTEM SET)
* What things did I change via ALTER SYSTEM SET
* How do I disable ALTER SYSTEM SET so only postgresql.conf works

Consider how long it took the hackers to realize all the interactions
involved; we would have to effectively communicate that to users.

I realize other database systems have this, but those systems are not
known to be easy to use. ALTER SYSTEM SET has the promise of making
Postgres easier to use, _and_ harder to use.

The question is what percentage of users are going to have a positive
experience with this feature, and what percentage are going to have a
negative or disastrous experience with it, or disable it?

EnterpriseDB http://enterprisedb.com