Re: updated emacs configuration

From: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: updated emacs configuration
Date: 2013-06-26 13:35:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, Jun 25, 2013 at 11:17:47PM -0400, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Sun, 2013-06-23 at 16:03 -0400, Noah Misch wrote:
> > > ((c-mode . ((c-basic-offset . 4)
> > > (fill-column . 79)
> >
> > I don't know whether you'd consider it to fall within the scope of this
> > update, but 78 is the fill-column setting that matches pgindent.
>
> Well, well, well. I did some extensive tests some time ago when that
> setting was added. I have a suspicion that this could be related to the
> recent pgindent changes (which everyone claims were no changes). I'm
> going to have to research that some more.

pgindent has not changed the following xlog.c comment since April 2011, but
fill-column 77 or 79 changes it:

/*
* fullPageWrites is the master copy used by all backends to determine
* whether to write full-page to WAL, instead of using process-local one.
* This is required because, when full_page_writes is changed by SIGHUP,
* we must WAL-log it before it actually affects WAL-logging by backends.
* Checkpointer sets at startup or after SIGHUP.
*/

Note that emacs and pgindent remain at odds over interior tabs in comments.
When pgindent finds a double-space (typically after a sentence) ending at a
tab stop, it replaces the double-space with a tab. c-fill-paragraph will
convert that tab to a *single* space, and that can be enough to change many
line break positions.

--
Noah Misch