Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"

From: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
To: Cédric Villemain <cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 9.3 beta breaks some extensions "make install"
Date: 2013-05-26 05:29:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Re: Cédric Villemain 2013-05-25 <201305251641(dot)28401(dot)cedric(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
> I just took time to inspect our contribs, USE_PGXS is not supported by all of
> them atm because of SHLIB_PREREQS (it used submake) I have a patch pending
> here to fix that. Once all our contribs can build with USE_PGXS I fix the VPATH.

The evil part of the problem is that you'd need to fix it all the way
back to 8.4 (or 9.0 once 8.4 is EOL) if we want it to build extensions
on apt.pg.org. (Or find a way that is compatible with as many majors
as possible.)

> The last step is interesting: installcheck/REGRESS. For this one, if I can
> know exactly what's required (for debian build for example), then I can also
> fix this target.

Debian builds don't have root access, so "make installcheck" would
need to install into a temp dir (probably DESTDIR). Currently this
fails because the server will still insist on reading the extension
control files from PGSHAREDIR. (See the thread starting at
http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20120221101903.GA15647@gnash for
details.)

Otherwise than that, and my pending "pg_regress --host /tmp" patch,
things should probably ok for buildds.

Christoph
--
cb(at)df7cb(dot)de | http://www.df7cb.de/