FILTER for aggregates [was Re: Department of Redundancy Department: makeNode(FuncCall) division]

From: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
To: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: FILTER for aggregates [was Re: Department of Redundancy Department: makeNode(FuncCall) division]
Date: 2013-02-13 14:45:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Feb 09, 2013 at 11:59:22PM -0800, David Fetter wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Per suggestions and lots of help from Andrew Gierth, please find
> attached a patch to clean up the call sites for FuncCall nodes, which
> I'd like to expand centrally rather than in each of the 37 (or 38, but
> I only redid 37) places where it's called. The remaining one is in
> src/backend/nodes/copyfuncs.c, which has to be modified for any
> changes in the that struct anyhow.
>
> The immediate purpose is two-fold: to reduce some redundancies, which
> I believe is worth doing in and of itself, and to prepare for adding
> FILTER on aggregates from the spec, and possibly other things in
> the <aggregate function> part of the spec.
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Folks,

Please find attached two versions of a patch which provides optional
FILTER clause for aggregates (T612, "Advanced OLAP operations").

The first is intended to be applied on top of the previous patch, the
second without it. The first is, I believe, clearer in what it's
doing. Rather than simply mechanically visiting every place a
function call might be constructed, it visits a central one to change
the default, then goes only to the places where it's relevant.

The patches are both early WIP as they contain no docs or regression
tests yet.

Cheers,
David.

Remember to vote!

filter_mfa_001.diff text/plain 30.1 KB
filter_no_mfa_001.diff text/plain 33.1 KB