Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan

From: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, Brendan Jurd <direvus(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL 8.4 development plan
Date: 2008-02-07 09:38:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Feb 06, 2008 at 06:50:34PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com> writes:
> > Le Wednesday 06 February 2008 21:35:54 Peter Eisentraut, vous avez crit:
> >> Yes, I feel we could use a group writeable patch queue of some sort.
> >> Perhaps an IMAP server setup could do the job.
>
> > I've read some developers appreciating the way review board works:
> > http://review-board.org/
> > http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/
> > http://code.google.com/p/reviewboard/wiki/UserBasics
>
> Hmm, the info on that last page might be out of date, but what it says is
> that the only SCMS they really support 100% is SVN. The other ones they
> claim support for don't work [well/at all] with the post-review tool.

Not having looked into exactly how it works and if it's something we want,
but if we want to, any reason we can't just point it at the svn mirror?

Plus, I see something on their blog saying taht they do support cvs as long
as it's pserver. So perhaps part of the docs aren't up-to-date...

> It looks interesting though, and would alleviate a few of the problems
> people have mentioned with reviewing stuff that's posted as diffs.
> Has anyone here got any direct experience with it?

Can't say I do. But even if nobody does, maybe we should just set it up and
test? I'd be particularly interested to see how it actually interacts with
email. From a quick reading, you have to do all the discussion on the web
and it can dump them out to a list. But not read in a discussion from a
list.

//Magnus