Re: Locale + encoding combinations

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Locale + encoding combinations
Date: 2007-10-10 12:18:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Am Mittwoch, 10. Oktober 2007 schrieb Dave Page:
> my original question remains: why can I only select the
> *default* encoding for the chosen locale, but not other ones that are
> also be valid according to setlocale? Is this a bug, or is there some
> technical reason?

One locale works only with one encoding. There are no "default" or perhaps
alternative encodings for one locale; there is only one. The whole point of
the exercise is to determine what the spelling of that one encoding is in
PostgreSQL.

Perhaps you are confused about the naming. These are all entirely separate
locales:

en_GB.iso88591
en_GB.iso885915
en_GB.utf8

Someone was friendly enough to include the name of the encoding used by the
locale into its name, but that doesn't mean that en_GB has three alternative
encodings or something.

At least that's the model we have on POSIX platforms.

--
Peter Eisentraut