Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Richard Huxton <dev(at)archonet(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Brian Wipf <brian(at)clickspace(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PITR Recovery and out-of-sync indexes
Date: 2007-10-03 18:59:06
Lists: pgsql-general

Richard Huxton wrote:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Brian Wipf <brian(at)clickspace(dot)com> writes:
>>> PG tried to enforce the same LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE. On OS X, the value
>>> of en_US.utf8 didn't exist, so I created a soft link to en_US.UTF-8 in
>>> the /usr/share/locale/ directory. When I sort the values of
>>> product_id_from_source on both systems using the locales in this manner
>>> I get different orderings:
>
>>> I can happily live with rebuilding indexes if this is the only problem I
>>> can expect to encounter, and I would still prefer PITR over replication.
>> The whole notion scares the daylights out of me. If you really need
>> to use PITR between these two particular platforms, use a locale
>> with common behavior --- C/POSIX would work.
>
> Could you run Linux in a virtual-machine in OS X?

I think it would be easier (and more performant) to define a new locale
on OS/X (or on Linux) to match the behavior of the other system.
(Perhaps define a new locale on both, with matching name and matching
behavior).

--
Alvaro Herrera http://www.advogato.org/person/alvherre
"No hay hombre que no aspire a la plenitud, es decir,