Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: Proposal: syntax of operation with tsearch's configuration
Date: 2006-11-18 07:37:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov wrote:
> marketing is not always "swear-word" :) We live in real world and
> there are many situations where marketing is the deciding vote.

I don't know about you, but I market PostgreSQL partially using

1. sane design, not driven by random demands
2. extensibility

which would be completely contradicted by moving any module into core
for "marketing" reasons.

> Not
> all are Tom Lane, who could convince customer saying there is no
> difference between contrib module and core feature, or that
> PostgreSQL is a mature database with fts add-on, which could be
> installed separately (with supersuser rights).

It's not like PostgreSQL is the first software product in the world to
provide a module or plugin mechanism. (It is incidentally the first
DBMS to do so.) People who refuse to understand that are idiots, and
we don't design for idiots.

--
Peter Eisentraut