XLOG_BLCKSZ vs. wal_buffers table

From: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: XLOG_BLCKSZ vs. wal_buffers table
Date: 2006-05-01 05:14:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I would have gotten this out sooner but I'm having trouble with our
infrastructure. Here's a link to a table of data I've started putting
together regarding XLOG_BLCKSZ and wal_buffers on a 4-way Opteron
system:
http://developer.osdl.org/markw/pgsql/xlog_blcksz.html

There are a couple of holes in the table but I think it shows enough
evidence to say that with dbt2 having a larger XLOG_BLCKSZ improves the
overall throughput of the test.

I'm planning on continuing to increase XLOG_BLCKSZ and wal_buffers to
determine when the throughput starts to level out or drop off, and then
start experimenting with varying BLCKSZ. Let me know if there are other
things that would be more interesting to experiment with first.

Mark