Re: XLOG_BLCKSZ vs. wal_buffers table

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Wong <markw(at)osdl(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: XLOG_BLCKSZ vs. wal_buffers table
Date: 2006-05-02 09:52:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, 2006-04-30 at 22:14 -0700, Mark Wong wrote:
> I would have gotten this out sooner but I'm having trouble with our
> infrastructure. Here's a link to a table of data I've started putting
> together regarding XLOG_BLCKSZ and wal_buffers on a 4-way Opteron
> system:
> http://developer.osdl.org/markw/pgsql/xlog_blcksz.html
>
> There are a couple of holes in the table but I think it shows enough
> evidence to say that with dbt2 having a larger XLOG_BLCKSZ improves the
> overall throughput of the test.
>
> I'm planning on continuing to increase XLOG_BLCKSZ and wal_buffers to
> determine when the throughput starts to level out or drop off, and then
> start experimenting with varying BLCKSZ. Let me know if there are other
> things that would be more interesting to experiment with first.

IMHO you should be testing with higher wal_buffers settings. ISTM likely
that the improved performance is due to there being more buffer space,
rather than actually improving I/O. Setting wal_buffers to something
fairly high say 4096 would completely remove any such effect so we are
left with a view on the I/O.

--
Simon Riggs