Re: Bad records in table

From: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
To: Peter Darley <pdarley(at)kinesis-cem(dot)com>
Cc: Pgsql-General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bad records in table
Date: 2002-07-03 00:58:10
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Jul 02, 2002 at 08:15:01AM -0700, Peter Darley wrote:
> I can identify the bad records with a simple perl script that reads all the
> records sequentially and lets me know which ones crash the back end. Now
> that I know which ones they are, how can I get rid of them?

If you know which tuple it is that kills it, you can delete it. That should
be sufficient. If you know the ctid or oid, they're good keys for this sort
of thing.

> Once I get this all fixed, what kinds of tests should I do on the machine
> to see if it's got some kind of hardware problem? It's RedHat Linux
> 2.4.9-31smp.

I strongly recommend memtest86[1]. It runs from a floppy and is very good at
picking up memory errors. After that check out your hard disk with whatever
program your HDD manufacturer provides. But memory is the most likely.

Just in case, open the case and check for dust buildup and loose cables.

[1] http://www.memtest86.com/

HTH,