Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr>
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ALTER EXTENSION UPGRADE, v3
Date: 2011-02-11 20:38:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dimitri Fontaine <dimitri(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)fr> writes:
>> I don't see that this proposal changes anything about that. It's still
>> the case that the underlying .so is tied to a major PG version. What
>> you'll ship is a control file and assorted .sql files that represent the
>> user APIs you are interested in supporting on that major PG version.

> That's why I proposed that the require control field would contain the
> PostgreSQL release against which the extension is built.

> require = 'postgresql-9.0'

I don't see what that does for you. This is still all being examined by
a particular major release of PG, so what will it do with a require that
specifies some other major release? Nothing useful. And there's a very
significant downside, which is that this takes us right back to the
make-work of having to change all the contrib modules' control files in
every release cycle.

Once again, I see the version numbers as being specifiers for versions
of the install script files. Not the Postgres version those files are
being run in. Confusing the two is a bad idea. Confusing the install
script version numbers with minor release numbers (bugfix level
identifiers) is even worse. You *don't* want to change these numbers if
you're just fixing a bug at the C code level.