Re: Schema (namespace) privilege details

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>
Cc: "Joe Conway" <mail(at)joeconway(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Schema (namespace) privilege details
Date: 2002-04-19 02:08:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Rod Taylor" <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca> writes:
> Will we be able to accomplish the equivelent of the below?

I think what you're depicting is the equivalent of a schema owner
dropping a table in his schema, right? Yes, I proposed allowing that,
but not granting the schema owner any other ownership rights over
contained tables. This is analogous to the way that ownership of a Unix
directory lets you rm a contained file ... but not necessarily alter
that file in any way short of rm'ing it.

> Yes, basically what we do now. I'm hoping to add the ability to
> enable a group (ROLES) to have ownership of items as well as users
> when I complete the other tasks I've set before myself.

That could be a good extension, but I think it's orthogonal to the
immediate issue...