Re: pg9 beta1, make check fails

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net>
Cc: PostgreSQL <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg9 beta1, make check fails
Date: 2010-05-03 17:59:12
Lists: pgsql-general

Andy Colson <andy(at)squeakycode(dot)net> writes:
> $make check
> ... snip lots of output...
> ./pg_regress --inputdir=. --dlpath=. --multibyte=SQL_ASCII
> --temp-install=./tmp_check --top-builddir=../../..
> --schedule=./parallel_schedule
> ============== removing existing temp installation ==============
> ============== creating temporary installation ==============
> ============== initializing database system ==============
> ============== starting postmaster ==============

> pg_regress: postmaster did not respond within 60 seconds

Hmm, apparently some sort of communication problem, since the postmaster
seems to think everything's fine. Maybe a firewall blocking packets
to the port that got selected? Another possibility is that you have
PGPORT or related variables set in your shell environment, and that's
leading libpq to try to connect to the wrong place. (I thought we had
pg_regress try to clear those, but maybe it doesn't.) What platform
is this anyway?