Re: Single client performance on trivial SELECTs

From: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single client performance on trivial SELECTs
Date: 2011-04-15 16:59:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

All,

While it would be nice to improve our performance on this workload, let me point out that it's not a very important workload from the point of view of real performance challenges. Yes, there are folks out there with 100MB databases who only run one-liner select queries. But frankly, Valemort/Redis/Mongo are going to whip both our and MySQL's butts on that kind of workload anyway.

Certainly any sacrifice of functionality in order to be faster at that kind of trivial workload would be foolhardy.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.