Re: duplicate connection failure messages

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: duplicate connection failure messages
Date: 2010-11-19 22:56:12
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I was wondering that. I am unclear if we need it though --- can we not
> assume inet_ntop() exists on all systems? We assumed inet_ntoa() did.

The Single Unix Spec includes inet_ntoa but not inet_ntop.

> Of course, the buildfarm will tell us.

The buildfarm unfortunately contains only a subset of the platforms
we care about. I don't think this problem is large enough to justify
taking a portability risk by depending on non-SUS library functions.

If you want to do this, please do it as suggested previously, ie depend
on the copy of the code we have internally.