Re: Planning time in explain/explain analyze

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Planning time in explain/explain analyze
Date: 2013-12-24 03:47:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Dec 23, 2013 at 9:54 PM, Andreas Karlsson <andreas(at)proxel(dot)se> wrote:
>> Yeah, forgot to mention that we need some way to disable it in the tests.
>> Either by not having it included in EXPLAIN or by adding an option to turn
>> it off. Any suggestion on which would be preferable?

> I would be tempted to display it only if (COSTS OFF) is not given.

Yeah. The alternatives seem to be:

1. Change a lot of regression tests. This would be a serious PITA,
not so much for the one-time cost as for every time we needed to
back-patch a regression test that includes explain output. -1.

2. Don't display the planning time by default, necessitating a new
PLANNING_TIME ON option. This has backwards compatibility to
recommend it, but not much else.

3. Let COSTS OFF suppress it.