Re: "make check" fails for 7.4.2 checked out from CVS

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Subject: Re: "make check" fails for 7.4.2 checked out from CVS
Date: 2004-03-11 20:34:09
Lists: pgsql-general

> No we don't, because we set the rpath and our installation routines take
> care that in the target directory the libfoo.so.X is in fact the latest
> library. The only problem that make check has is that it bypasses the
> prober installation routines, in a sense.

Okay, so the point is that the embedded rpath trumps the LD_LIBRARY_PATH
that pg_regress.sh tries to supply. Which in fact is the whole point of
rpath (not to be environment-sensitive) so I guess we can't complain.

Seems like the only real solution would be for "make check" to relink
psql to have an rpath pointing at the temp installation. I wonder if
that's practical at all?