Re: Cluster name in ps output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Thomas Munro <munro(at)ip9(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cluster name in ps output
Date: 2014-05-05 14:07:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> How about dropping the brackets, and the cluster-name concept, and
>> just doing
>>
>> postgres: 5432 checkpointer process

> -1 for my part, as I'd just end up with a bunch of those and no
> distinction between the various processes. In other words, without a
> cluster distinction, it's useless.

Yeah, after I sent that I got to the bit about running multiple
postmasters with different IP-address bindings. I agree the port number
alone wouldn't be enough in that scenario.

> Including the value of listen_addresses along w/ the port would make it
> useful. If we really don't want the cluster-name concept (which,
> personally, I like quite a bit), how about including the listen_address
> value if it isn't '*'?

Nah, let's do cluster name. That way, somebody who's only got one
postmaster isn't suddenly going to see a lot of useless clutter,
ie the user gets to decide what to add to ps output. "SHOW cluster_name"
might be useful at the application level as well, I suspect.

I still think the brackets are unnecessary though.

Also, -1 for adding another log_line_prefix escape. If you're routing
multiple clusters logging to the same place (which is already a bit
unlikely IMO), you can put distinguishing strings in log_line_prefix
already. And it's not like we've got an infinite supply of letters
for those escapes.