Re: need xmllint on borka

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: need xmllint on borka
Date: 2014-05-07 02:20:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > But we don't have xmllint installed on borka, where we build the
> > releases. Could someone please install it?
>
> -1. Doesn't this break "make man" for *any* hacker who doesn't have
> xmllint installed?
>
> Please change the patch so that it runs xmllint if available, rather
> than turning it into a de facto requirement for anybody who works on
> documentation.

The intention is that we enforce that the documentation is correctly
formatted. Enforcing that only when the required tool is installed is
the same as not enforcing it and annoying those who happen to have the
tool installed.

> Or if you think you can pass a vote to require it,
> I'd suggest that the patch had better include documentation additions
> listing this as a required build tool.

Agreed. I have committed the SGML changes that make things valid now,
but I will postpone the xmllint addition until the 9.5 branch, complete
with more documentation.