Re: [HACKERS] pg_shmem_allocations view

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Marti Raudsepp <marti(at)juffo(dot)org>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] pg_shmem_allocations view
Date: 2019-11-15 19:58:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> This never got applied, and that annoyed me again today, so here's a
> new version that I've whacked around somewhat and propose to commit.
> Other things I changed:
> - Doc edits.
> - Added REVOKE statements as proposed by Michael (and I agree).
> - Can't patch pg_proc.h any more, gotta patch pg_proc.dat.

If we're disallowing public access to the view (which I agree on),
doesn't that need to be mentioned in the docs? I think there's
standard boilerplate we use for other such views.

Also, there's an introductory section in catalogs.sgml that
should have an entry for this view.

Also, likely the function should be volatile not stable. I'm
not sure that it makes any difference in the view's usage,
but in principle the answers could change intraquery.

I didn't really read the patch in any detail, but those things
hopped out at me.