Re: make --enable-depend the default

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: make --enable-depend the default
Date: 2013-08-05 20:18:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Thu, 2013-08-01 at 11:10 +0200, Andres Freund wrote:
> People, including me, every now and then forget to pass --enable-depend
> to configure (when not using my own environment). Which then leads to
> strange errors that cost time to track down...

One argument against that is that we only support dependency tracking
with GCC, so we would have to either fail configure or use a different
default depending on the compiler.

It's also unreasonable to assume, I think, that just turning on
--enable-depend by default will eliminate forgot-a-configure-option
mistakes. In most cases, you want to turn on most or all --enable-* and
--with-* options to get good build and test coverage.