Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila(at)huawei(dot)com>
Cc: 'Fujii Masao' <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Alvaro Herrera' <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, 'Robert Haas' <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, 'Boszormenyi Zoltan' <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>, 'Magnus Hagander' <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, 'PostgreSQL-development' <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, 'Josh Berkus' <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Subject: Re: ALTER SYSTEM SET command to change postgresql.conf parameters (RE: Proposal for Allow postgresql.conf values to be changed via SQL [review])
Date: 2013-07-18 00:39:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers

If we are going to add ALTER SYSTEM, then I'd like to consider recasting
ALTER ROLE ALL SET in terms of ALTER SYSTEM as well, because the ALTER
ROLE ALL syntax was a hack. At least it should be possible to consider
various levels of "system". Who knows, maybe a future version will
allow propagating settings to standby servers? I don't know what a good
terminology would be, but let's keep some options open.