Re: Materialized views WIP patch

From: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Materialized views WIP patch
Date: 2013-02-19 23:32:51
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com> wrote:

>> That I could probably do.  Do you think they should have a separate
>> pg_stat_user_matviews table, etc., or do you think it would be
>> better to include them in with tables there?
>
> Well, ideally pg_matviews would have matview definitions, and
> pg_stat_matviews would have stats on matview usage and rows.  But see
> what you can get done; I imagine we'll overhaul it for 9.4 anyway once
> we've had a chance to use the feature.

I agree on pg_matviews, but after looking over the existing views
and thinking about what I would use them for as a DBA, I'm inclined
to fold the backing tables for MVs into the _stat_ and _statio_
views -- especially since we already include the backing tables and
indexes for TOAST.  There is a precident for including
implementation details at that level.  The only difference from
TOAST, is that I include the heap and indexes for MVs in the _user_
views.  I'm attaching the patch for just the system_views.sql file
for discussion before I go write docs for this part.

--
Kevin Grittner
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Attachment Content-Type Size
matview-system_views-v1.diff text/x-patch 2.7 KB