Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>, Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug with pg_ctl -w/wait and config-only directories
Date: 2011-10-03 20:22:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Bruce Momjian's message of lun oct 03 17:06:16 -0300 2011:

> Magnus Hagander wrote:
> > Well, how does the server get from the config file to where the state
> > file is? Can we do it the same way, or even expose it to the tools
> > using a commandline parameter or something?
>
> In that case (the Gentoo example), they use --data-directory
>
> su -l postgres \
> -c "env PGPORT=\"${PGPORT}\" ${PG_EXTRA_ENV} \
> /usr/lib/postgresql-9.0/bin/pg_ctl \
> start ${WAIT_FOR_START} -t ${START_TIMEOUT} -s -D ${DATA_DIR} \
> -o '-D ${PGDATA} --data-directory=${DATA_DIR} \
> --silent-mode=true ${PGOPTS}'"
>
> We could have pg_ctl read that information from the command line for
> pg_ctl start, but for pg_ctl stop, we have no way of getting to that
> value. :-( It is not like something is missing from the code. The
> user can start multiple clusters from a single config dir and the
> information they give gives us no way to know which cluster they want,
> or where is it located.

Well, we have the Gentoo developer in this very thread. I'm sure they
would fix their command line if we gave them a pg_ctl that worked.
Surely the package that contains the init script also contains pg_ctl,
so they would both be upgraded simultaneously.