Re: MULTISET and additional functions for ARRAY

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MULTISET and additional functions for ARRAY
Date: 2010-11-16 22:19:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On fre, 2010-11-12 at 09:44 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> But I'm still not convinced that this feature is useful enough to
> justify the implementation effort. AFAICS there's nothing here that
> you couldn't get with some non-default operators on regular arrays,

Unique constraints would behave differently for arrays and multisets.
But I suppose you could get something similar with exclusion constraints
nowadays. But not for primary keys.

Foreign keys also don't work easily with nondefault operators.

JOIN / USING doesn't work.

ORDER BY would work but look ugly. And such coding where you'd have to
remember the nondefault operator everywhere would also be error prone.