Re: creating index names automatically?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: creating index names automatically?
Date: 2009-12-23 18:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> If there were more than a single member of the class, I might think
>> it was worth the trouble ...

> A quick glace at the list shows relatively few that actually need to
> be barred from columns. I could easily see people wanting to use
> columns named LEFT and RIGHT or VERBOSE. I suppose they've been there
> for a long time already though.

Hm. I do not believe it'd work for LEFT/RIGHT because of join condition
syntax, but it might for ANALYZE, FREEZE, and VERBOSE; which would
actually amount to a pretty significant percentage of our
totally-outside-any-spec reserved words.

I'm still not really eager to introduce yet another category of
keywords, but perhaps it is worth doing. Comments?