returning Setof Record

From: glenn <vmstech(at)tpg(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: returning Setof Record
Date: 2003-09-01 05:23:51
Lists: pgsql-novice

hi
Q1 - is it at least notionally possible to declare a function to return
'setof record' - i.e. a generic composite type as opposed to a composite
type based on an exisiting table?

Q2 - Supposing it is possible When I try the above I get the error:
"A column definition list is required for functions returning RECORD"
So now I'm wondering how to define a "column defintition list" ?

Any help muchly appreciated.
Glenn