search_path vs extensions

Lists: pgsql-hackers
From: Dimitri Fontaine <dfontaine(at)hi-media(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: search_path vs extensions
Date: 2009-05-25 09:16:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

Preliminary note: I'm using the term "extension" as if it's what we
already agree to call them, feel free to ignore this and use whatever
term you see fit. We'll have the naming issue tackled, please not now
though.

Following-up to discussions we had at the Developer Meeting and
subsequent pub events, I'd like us to agree upon the relations of
extensions and search_path. We basically have to choose one of those:

Proposal: do nothing
What's good about it:
it's already there, folks!
What's not good about it:
Users are alone on deciding where to put what, and the system won't
help them: either public is a complete mess, or they have to manually
care about search_path for their extensions and their own application
needs. Installations where DBA and application folks are separate
teams will suffer, ones where the application is heavily using schemas
will suffer too.

Proposal: pg_extension, a new dedicated system schema for extensions
Good:
It's easy to see SQL objects (\df) of extensions (think contribs) you
installed, and as extension developpers are required to use it, you
don't have to care about it any more.

As you have only one namespace for everyone, the collisions are
detected early.
Not good:
As you have only one namespace for everyone, collisions prevent users
from installing several extensions using the same SQL object name, so
we'd need a way for extension authors to share a catalog of free
names, like internally we do for systems OIDs in the bootstrap,
IIUC. But in a distributed fashion.

We would have to add ways for the user to see which extension which
object belongs to, so you'd have extension | schema | object_name
columns in all \dX things, e.g.

Proposal: allow user schema to behave the same as pg_catalog
Good:
Tell the system your schema is implicit and be done with it, object
searching won't need users to manage search_path explicitly.
Not good:
Breaking existing application code by adding an implicit schema in an
existing database is damn too easy. And how to choose if the implicit
schemas are to be searched in before or after the search_path?

Proposal: Separate search_path into components: pre_search_path,
search_path, post_search_path
Good:
This allows to easily separate who changes what: typically DBAs will
edit pre and post search_path components while application will care
about search_path the same way as now.
Not good:
2 new GUCs (but no new semantics, and defaults to empty)

My vote is to go with the pre/post search_path components proposal as
it's the one allowing the more flexibility, and we tend to value this a
lot around here.

dim

On May 25, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> Proposal: pg_extension, a new dedicated system schema for extensions
> Good:
> It's easy to see SQL objects (\df) of extensions (think contribs) you
> installed, and as extension developpers are required to use it, you
> don't have to care about it any more.
>
> As you have only one namespace for everyone, the collisions are
> detected early.
> Not good:
> As you have only one namespace for everyone, collisions prevent users
> from installing several extensions using the same SQL object name, so
> we'd need a way for extension authors to share a catalog of free
> names, like internally we do for systems OIDs in the bootstrap,
> IIUC. But in a distributed fashion.
>
> We would have to add ways for the user to see which extension which
> object belongs to, so you'd have extension | schema | object_name
> columns in all \dX things, e.g.

I like this, although I'd want to be able, as a user, to override that
default and tell an extension to install in some other schema. That
would allow me to immediately overcome conflicts, and to organize my
extensions if I want, rather than throw them all in one place.

> Proposal: Separate search_path into components: pre_search_path,
> search_path, post_search_path
> Good:
> This allows to easily separate who changes what: typically DBAs will
> edit pre and post search_path components while application will care
> about search_path the same way as now.
> Not good:
> 2 new GUCs (but no new semantics, and defaults to empty)

I don't follow this at all. How to the three components effect
behavior? And what does this mean for where extensions are installed
in schemas?

Best,

David

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> On May 25, 2009, at 2:16 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:
>
>> Proposal: pg_extension, a new dedicated system schema for extensions
>
> I like this, although I'd want to be able, as a user, to override that
> default and tell an extension to install in some other schema. That would
> allow me to immediately overcome conflicts, and to organize my extensions
> if I want, rather than throw them all in one place.

The moment you're adding specific schemas where to put extensions into,
you have to adapt your search_path. Some applications already have to
manage search_path for their own needs, so we're trying to avoid having
those people to care about extensions schemas and application schema at
the same time.

It could even not be the same people caring about those search_path
parts.

>> Proposal: Separate search_path into components: pre_search_path,
>> search_path, post_search_path
>
> I don't follow this at all. How to the three components effect behavior? And
> what does this mean for where extensions are installed in schemas?

This proposal tries to solve previous one limitations. It's very good in
the typical case when you want each extension to be installed in one (or
more) schemas but don't want to have the application to care about it.
Then you add your extensions schemas into pre_search_path and
application schemas into search_path, so that the application doesn't
have to manage pre_search_path.

Now it could be that your application is historically using the same
function names as some extension you're now adding to the server, and
you want to control which function is called when not schema
qualified. So you have the post_search_path to play with too.

The idea being that application developpers will maintain search_path
for the application schemas (and this search_path can vary depending on
the application role which connects to the database, of course), and the
DBA team will make extensions available transparently to the application
by adding the extension's schemas in either pre_search_path or
post_search_path.

I hope I've added clarity to the point, rather than only some extra
verbosity... :)

dim

On May 27, 2009, at 1:50 AM, Dimitri Fontaine wrote:

> The moment you're adding specific schemas where to put extensions
> into,
> you have to adapt your search_path. Some applications already have to
> manage search_path for their own needs, so we're trying to avoid
> having
> those people to care about extensions schemas and application schema
> at
> the same time.

That doesn't seem like much of a problem to me. I already do this for
extensions. I agree that what you suggest should be the default, but I
should be able to optionally install extensions in whatever schema I
deem appropriate, especially if I want to avoid conflicts.

> This proposal tries to solve previous one limitations. It's very
> good in
> the typical case when you want each extension to be installed in one
> (or
> more) schemas but don't want to have the application to care about it.
> Then you add your extensions schemas into pre_search_path and
> application schemas into search_path, so that the application doesn't
> have to manage pre_search_path.

So are pre_search_path and search_path and post_search_path basically
just concatenated into that order? That doesn't seem to buy you much.

> Now it could be that your application is historically using the same
> function names as some extension you're now adding to the server, and
> you want to control which function is called when not schema
> qualified. So you have the post_search_path to play with too.

It seems to me you'd just schema-qualify in this case. I mean, that's
kind of the point of schemas.

> The idea being that application developpers will maintain search_path
> for the application schemas (and this search_path can vary depending
> on
> the application role which connects to the database, of course), and
> the
> DBA team will make extensions available transparently to the
> application
> by adding the extension's schemas in either pre_search_path or
> post_search_path.

I think more useful would be a way to append or prepend schemas to the
search path within a given context (in a transaction or a connection).
That way, instead of doing stuff like this:

BEGIN;
SET search_path = foo,bar,public;

-- ...

COMMIT;
RESET search_path;

…which suffers from an inability to easily modify an existing path
(yes, I know I can look it up and parse it, but please), I could just
do something like this:

BEGIN;
prepend_search_path('foo,bar');

COMMIT;

And then it would be reverted at the end of the transaction. Or it
could be for the duration of a connection; that probably makes more
sense.

> I hope I've added clarity to the point, rather than only some extra
> verbosity... :)

Yes, but it just seems like unnecessary complexity to me. We don't
want to learn the lessons of Java's CLASSPATH by making things *more*
complicated.

Best,

David