Re: Nagios and SMS Paging ...

Lists: pgsql-www
From: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Nagios and SMS Paging ...
Date: 2005-01-12 04:43:09
Lists: pgsql-www

I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that there
are problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on ...
basically, I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems *sigh*

Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone has
set this up ...

Thanks ...

----

> I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that
> there are problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on
> ... basically, I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems
> *sigh*
>
> Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone
> has set this up ...

We did :) however if the network problem is on our end then we will be
paged as well.
It sounds like you are getting paged for network problems in between, or
possibly
between us and one of the legs into your network.

When was your last page? I want to verify against our reports.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> Thanks ...
>
> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
> 7615664

jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier wrote:
>

>> I'm getting SMS messages from Nagios periodically telling me that there are
>> problems with the servers that I'm logged into working on ... basically,
>> I'm getting paged for someone else's network problems *sigh*
>>
>> Josh suggested (since I didn't think about it) asking here if someone has
>> set this up ...
>
> We did :) however if the network problem is on our end then we will be paged
> as well.
> It sounds like you are getting paged for network problems in between, or
> possibly
> between us and one of the legs into your network.
>
> When was your last page? I want to verify against our reports.

Just before I email'd this out to the list ... the first 'legit' one I've
had so far was this afternoon, when there was a short outage ... before
that, I got paged at 5am telling me the network was down, was up, was
down, was up, until about 6:30am ... and all the while, I'd come to check
the servers and they were fine ... I have enough problems getting a good
nights sleep as it is, let alone getting false alarms :(

Please remove me from the page list ... personal pages are appreciated,
since it means that a problem has been verified to be at our end first ...
but auto-pages are definitely not appreciated, considering the # of
'failure points' that can exist between remote servers ...

----