Cannot index large table in 6.5.3 on Linux

Lists: pgsql-bugspgsql-general
From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] problem creating index in 6,5,3
Date: 1999-12-17 18:59:13
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-general

Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com> writes:
> The problem manifests itself as

> webusers=> CREATE INDEX zdaily_id ON daily (id);
> pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.

Is a corefile dumped in the database directory when this happens?
If so, can you get a backtrace from it with gdb?

> This did work for us using 6.5.1 compiled in house. Our problems
> started with the 6.5.3 RPM.

Hmm. We have been seeing some reports recently of other odd behavior
with the Linux RPMs (see the "ordering RH6.1" thread on pgsql-hackers).
Would you take the time to compile 6.5.3 from source and see if you
still see the same behavior?

If you do this, please compile the backend with full debug+assert
support, which is to say
(a) add --enable-cassert to the configure command;
(b) do make COPT=-g all instead of just make all.
That should make the gdb backtrace a lot more informative, if
a coredump happens...

regards, tom lane

> Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop(at)range(dot)infoplease(dot)com> writes:
> > The problem manifests itself as
>
> > webusers=> CREATE INDEX zdaily_id ON daily (id);
> > pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> > This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> > before or while processing the request.
>
> Is a corefile dumped in the database directory when this happens?
> If so, can you get a backtrace from it with gdb?

No corefile is dumped

> > This did work for us using 6.5.1 compiled in house. Our problems
> > started with the 6.5.3 RPM.
>
> Hmm. We have been seeing some reports recently of other odd behavior
> with the Linux RPMs (see the "ordering RH6.1" thread on pgsql-hackers).
> Would you take the time to compile 6.5.3 from source and see if you
> still see the same behavior?

In progress. Stumbling over the fact that our VA Research is not
recognized by config.guess -- found out how to fix config.guess to
correct that (I probably should have checked over at FSF first). Just
patching the SRPM now

> If you do this, please compile the backend with full debug+assert
> support, which is to say
> (a) add --enable-cassert to the configure command;
> (b) do make COPT=-g all instead of just make all.
> That should make the gdb backtrace a lot more informative, if
> a coredump happens...
>
> regards, tom lane

okey dokey.

karl